[ale] firewalls... illegal? Cany anyone read legalese?

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Mon Mar 31 06:43:30 EST 2003

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003, J.M. Taylor wrote:
> Passing a law that would globally make NATting firewalls illegal would
> impact most government agencies in the state, as well as schools, banks,
> businesses, and anyone who's online.  It is hard for me to imagine that

Only if it is in an attempt to defaud your service provider.  If I am the
state, a school or whatever, chances are I have a much more lenient terms
of service than I do as a cable modem subscriber with a clause in my
contract saying something about not hooking up more than one computer,
etc...

It's not that they are outlawing NAT/firewalls, they are just making it
illegal to use them if your contract says you shouldn't.  Protecting
business interests...seriously, how many home users would this apply to?

There are already laws about fraud, why add little details to it?