[ale] firewalls, encryption & NAT to be illegal?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Fri Mar 28 14:20:56 EST 2003

Call your reps and ask them if they're ready to deal with the fall
out....

>From the slashdot summary:

The bills define 'communication service' as just about any sort of
telecom service that is provided for a charge or fee. In effect, they
would extend the already-extant laws relating to theft of cable TV
services to any telecom service. For example, if your ISP charges per
computer connected, using a router/NAT device would be illegal if these
became law.

If the "Digital Millinium COPYRIGHT Act" can be used to put 3rd party
printer cart manufacturers and garage door openers out of business
straight up I'm sure that this law will have alot of fun impacts...

Thus spake Jim Philips (jcphil at mindspring.com):