[ale] klipper??

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Mar 28 10:47:37 EST 2003

On Friday 28 March 2003 10:05 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> > On Friday 28 March 2003 09:17 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> >>I recall someone outlining how to disable this thing.  I've done it on
> >>one box, but can't for the life of me do so on a new install.
> >> Couldn't locate it in the archives either, maybe I'm spelling it
> >> wrong?
> >>
> >>This is the popup app that shows up when I'm using my browser.  Can
> >>someone refresh my memory?
> >
> > Klick on its icon in the kicker and uncheck "Enable Actions".
> >
> >>I can't imagine why this thing was ever built, it's got to be the most
> >>annoying thing I've ever encountered.
> >
> > Whereas I love it.  I can select a URL in any app and it will launch
> > my browser for me.  And I love having a history of selecte objects.
> > And it enables me to cut and paste between emacs and java.  Woo hoo!
>
> I guess I've not gotten to 'learn' it yet, but it appears to pop up and
> the most inappropriate times.  Like when I select the location field in
> mozilla in order to enter a new url, the damn thing pops up.  Point is,
> if I wanted to use another tool to open that url, I'd open that tool.

Then your distribution misconfigured it.  Click on it and select "Configure
Klipper".  Then select the Actions tab and click the "Advanced..." button.
This will give you a list of WM_CLASS names that actions should be
disabled for.  I note that mine includes "Mozilla" and "mozilla-bin" in
the dozen or so names.

--Michael