[ale] Practical Office Wireless (was Feedback on WirelessStandards)

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Mar 27 13:51:16 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 13:34, hbbs at attbi.com wrote:
> Joe -
>
> Yours is a great response (as have been the rest of y'all's) and I really
> appreciate your taking the time to go in to such detail.  I have a few questions:
>
> > Finally, I have a Cisco VPN client that I need to use to access my
> > employer's corporate net. Since that client relies on a custom
> > IPsec service on Windows, it can't co-exist with the Windows
> > IPsec stuff; which means that when I want to get to the
> > corporate net, I have to plug my XP laptop into my wired LAN,
> > disable Windows IPsec services, and enable the Cisco ones.
> > Bleh.
>
> Whence the "custom IPsec service" and why?
>
> I also have a more general question.  When it comes to people being able to muck
> about with other people's wireless LANs, does it take a Bob Toxen / Kevin
> Mitnick or can fairly average shmoes find, download, and run "133t H4x0r" apps
> that do all the heavy lifting once they've got a laptop, wireless card, and
> "cantenna" in hand?  Furthermore, to what extent is the use of such tools taking
> place in the real world?

It is enough of an issue that open AP's has hit the attention of the
Homeland Defense Department. It does not take a Bob Toxen to access a
wireless network. I'm sure Bob could do it in no time flat. The big
headache is that the script kiddie crowd has the tools and toys to
access this stuff pretty much at will without the PIA cryptography if
IPSEC.

As for the question "to what extent is it being done (net sniffing)?",
consider this: how many bored, unemployed geeks are there right now? How
many are intrigued enough by the technology to not pay heed to the
ethics (how many between the ages of 12 and 22)?

NOTE: I'm not intending on slamming the age group listed above. I merely
point out that age group as a reference to the maturity factor in a
predominately male social structure (calm down riannen :). That age
group has a noted history of being fascinated with the toys and
oblivious to the legal ramifications of their actions.

It would be a good idea to test wireless security on a disconnected
machine first, then add limited access to other services as needed
later.