[ale] Practical Office Wireless (was Feedback on Wireless Standards)

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Thu Mar 27 11:01:11 EST 2003

Given an office setting in a typical office building, what is a typical *proper*
setup for the use of wireless to handle Windows laptops?  I'm particularly
concerned about security and Linux-friendliness on both the WAP and laptop ends.

We currently have a D-Link DWL-1000 11Mbps WAP and as far as I can tell, the
only real control that is placed on it is that the community string is set,
although I don't know if it has been changed from the default (I assume that
this "community string" also gets set somehow on the client side and acts as a
kind of password).

We also have a couple of D-Link DWl520+ PCI wireless adapters on hand but I'm
unsure as to their usability under Linux.

Two things concern me:  RF "sniffability" (i.e., being able to capture and
understand wireless network traffic) and "freeloading" (i.e., providing Internet
and file server access to people upstairs, downstairs, in the parking lot, etc.

Can anyone here clue me in or do I just need to go buy Bob's book? :)

- Jeff