[ale] Still no joy with pine, fetchmail, sendmail

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 25 10:35:10 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 05:10:48AM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> Fetchmail now seems to hand off retrieved mail messages to sendmail though
> I cannot find them.  If I run fetchmail (set not to flush messages) and
> then try get my mail using Kmail I end up with duplicate emails in the
> Kmail inbox.  Pine email box (/var/spool/mail/Jim) has yet to receive the
> first message. I am also getting error messages while fetchmail retrieves
> the mail about the message size differing from what it expects.  It is
> also rewriting the to: and from: headers. See below. Thanks in advance for
> any help.
>
> fetchmail -k -a -v -v
> fetchmail: 5.9.0 querying mail.speedfactory.net (protocol POP3) at Tue 25

This is an *ancient* version of fetchmail.  The version in Debian
stable, which is notoriously out of date, is 5.9.11.  I don't think this
is what's causing your problem, but you should consider upgrading anyway.

[snip]
> About to rewrite From: Jim Seymour <bluejay at speedfactory.net>
> Rewritten version is From: Jim Seymour <bluejay at speedfactory.net>

This is normal.  Fetchmail is just making sure that the addresses are
fully qualified, i.e., they have an @ and a domain.  Since the addresses
were already fully qualified, fetchmail didn't change them.
[snip]
> fetchmail: SMTP< 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
> #******fetchmail: message 1 was not the expected length (1472 actual !=
> 1475 expected)

I don't know what might cause this.  Maybe a bug in fetchmail?  I would
suggest trying a newer version.

> fetchmail: SMTP>. (EOM)
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 2.0.0 h2P9eEM01581 Message accepted for delivery
>  not flushed

OK, sendmail did *something* with it, it accepted it for delivery.
Check your logs to see if sendmail logged any errors.  Also check the
/var/spool/mail directory; any sendmail errors should go to postmaster,
which is likely aliased to root.

Try sending an email to yourself (Jim at localhost, or just Jim) from
within pine.  This should be delivered by your MDA directly (most likely
procmail), without going through sendmail.  If that won't work, then
sendmail definitely won't be able to deliver mail to you.

And finally, a SWAG:  I've never used a mixed-case username on a *nix
box before.  Maybe sendmail, or your particular version of it, is
confused by the capital 'J'.  Just as a test, try creating another user
account, all lowercase, and see if you can successfully send mail to
that account.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9