[ale] X hangs at start

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Mar 21 13:27:46 EST 2003

On Friday 21 March 2003 12:03 pm, Chris Fowler wrote:
> >tty > /dev/null && stty -ixon -ixoff
>
> Why would you want to send the output of the tty command to /dev/null.
> All it does is disply the controlling ttyname to STDOUT.

But it returns an error if there is no controlling tty, in which case I
don't run the stty command.  I have no interest in the output so I send it
to /dev/null

> The only thing I can say, would be that maybe stty was blocking.   But
> are you haning on the stty execution.  The only reason I could see to
> use this command would be over serial terminals.

I guess I should break that into a longer script to see where it is
hanging.

> I believe the only benefit of hagin swflow on a vt is to allow the user
> to use ^s and ^q to temporarily tell the vt driver to stop sending
> output.  ^q will turn flow back on.

And that's very annoying, so I disable it.  I want to be able to type ^s
and ^q in my terminals.

Michael