[ale] beowulf clustering

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Thu Mar 20 21:18:18 EST 2003

MPI and PVM make a cluster.  I was reading an old version of OSDJ that I
picked up at ALS 2000.  It had an article about MPI.  What makes a
Beowulf cluster work is the MPI and/or PVM libraries.  Basically the
only programs that would even use the cluster would be those programed
for the cluster.

I wish we could have clusters that software did not have to be made
aware of.  We're just not there yet.

If you are going to write software that uses either of the above
libraries then you'll need something like Beowulf. I'm not sure about
Mosix.