[ale] a quick installer

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Thu Mar 20 20:37:06 EST 2003

Stephen Turner wrote:

>hey i was curious about what kinds of quick installers are out there?
>methods for imaging many computers easily and quickly, something that i
>could start and walk away from? i know redhat has something but i hear its
>bloated and hard to work with sometimes, could a script be set up to do
>this? using dd or something? and what if i just tarred up a system and
>then untarred it to another? i would have to reinstall grub on the new
>system but aside from that wouldnt it work? or is the kernel dependent on
>being in a specific spot on the HD or Partition? i ask because i want to
>make reconstruction cd's :) ohh and one other question, what if it takes
>multiple cds to store the os? how would that be set up? ive dont a little
>browsing online but was curious what the gurus do :) figured some of you
>did some script fu. thanks for any help

Quick?  to run? or to setup?  I haven't seen any "good" solution that
didn't require some "you have to know what  you're doing" knowledge first.

Mondo Rescue http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/  (Disaster recovery type
backups)

SystemImager http://www.systemimager.org/ (System cloning + lots more)

System Installer http://systeminstaller.sourceforge.net/ (subset of
SystemImager for remote installs)

We send SystemImager images to our customers as a kind of "quick
install" or "recovery CD" for our blade servers (which are usually
multiple installations of the same sw set).

--
Lost in Tokyo,
 Keith