[ale] OT: Is MS Outbreak really this dangerous?

Robert L. Harris Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net
Thu Mar 20 09:32:51 EST 2003

It depends what your previewer is.  I believe the default is MS Word.
As a result if the previewer is vulnerable to macro viruses it'll
auto-execute them when you click the message to delete it anyway.

Yes it's real, alot of virus's like melissa get spread this way even.

And the "as long as the AV SW knew about them" is the problem.  How many
people actively keep the software up to date and how many times are the
updates out fast enough to keep people from getting it?  It's common for
a virus to be in the wild a few days if not weeks before a good AV
definition hits the streets.

Thus spake hbbs at attbi.com (hbbs at attbi.com):