[ale] headless rh 7.3 install?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Thu Mar 20 08:38:19 EST 2003

Jason Vinson wrote:
> I am supposed to install red hat 7.3 on some rack mounted servers
> today, and it just occurred to me that there may be no monitors
> there.  Is there any way to install rh 7.3 with no head unit?  All i
> have with me is my laptop and an IDE cdrom drive  :(

I would guess, as I've not done it, you might be able to do a serial
console install.  Problem is, you've got a chicken and the egg thing,
you need to pass a parm to the boot process (console=ttys0), but you
can't do that without a monitor.

Your best bet would probably be to borrow a monitor for the install.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...