[ale] Sun Sued over H-1B's

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 19 17:28:43 EST 2003

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 04:27 pm, hbbs at attbi.com wrote:
> > I think anyone in that position understands that they have to keep
> > looking. But if you think there is no such thing as age
> > discrimination--particularly in the IT industry--then you are living in a
> > dream world.
>
> Not hardly, especially as a nearly-40 who only just recently got a fulltime
> job after a year and a half of looking.

Wait until you're nearly 50 and things will stand out in sharper relief.

> My point is that the woman you mentioned is jumping to conclusions to her
> own detriment and you seem to be falling right in line.

I didn't mention any woman. Somebody else did and I followed up. And I didn't
do any "falling right in line" (sic). But, unlike you, I think it's entirely
likely that discrimination may have been a factor.

> It is also unfair to label as age discrimination what might more likely be
> *salary* discrimination - why pay a pro a pro salary when you can satisfy
> the hiring manager (who is likely to not appreciate or understand the
> difference) with some kid at half the price?

And if you're willing to go in at half the price and you still get rejected?