[ale] Identifying faulty NICs

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Mar 19 14:15:22 EST 2003

I had a problem earlier where my router was moving packets through *very*
slowly.  I could bypass the router and plug my laptop directly into the
dsl modem and everything was fine.

After a few reboots of the router, it still was having problems.  So,
having other things to do, I let it sit for an hour or so....came back,
and everything is functioning as it should.

I'm wondering if one of the three nics in the router box might be going
bad.  Aside from trying to bring an address up and pinging various hosts,
is there any software that will put a card through its paces and report an
unhealthly nic?

Thanks,
John