[ale] Sun Sued over H-1B's

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Wed Mar 19 13:31:49 EST 2003

I hve a problem with this comment on its face.

First, any hiring manager or HR person who cited age or gender as a reason for
not hiring someone would be beyond foolish, as it's my understanding that such
statements would be actionable.  What you were were told is an *opinion* based
on her own biases.

There are *all kinds* of reasons that a given person, regardless of experience
or ability, may have trouble getting (I refuse to say "cannot get") an IT job.
Even if he/she is bloody brilliant and a quick study, IT job announcements are
often so heavily stovepiped (i.e., 5+ years in COBOL development, Cisco router
administration, and Informix on RS/6000 with a MCSE) that that person often
won't even have his/her resume fully read.  The reasons do not matter.  What
does matter is that one must continue to look!

- Jeff