[ale] Cygwin Or...?

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Tue Mar 18 20:53:10 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 hbbs at attbi.com wrote:
> There's a reason for that.  A VMware instance per desktop is expensive and the
> cost would scale poorly.  I also would then have to deploy independent Linux
> instances and independent MrProject instances within each one, although at least
> those instances would originate from a common point if I were at least that
> sensible.  I would much rather serve multiple instances of the same app from a
> single instance of Linux running on a server with the displays of each app
> instance exported to each users' desktop.

While this won't help with the cost of VMWare, you could probably rig the
client stations to boot of the network so there is one common base of the
application, not many different virtual linux boxes.

However, as others have said, using Cygwin along with the XFree86 for
Cygwin would probably be the easiest way to accomplish this - and cheap.
You could even use XDMCP (or whatever the acronym is) so they start X and
are presented to login to your server.