[ale] Gnome workspace and overlapping windows

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Mar 17 14:28:40 EST 2003

Unfortunately, you can't do this using a stock RH8. While the window
manager supports multiple workspaces, it does not support multiple
screens within a workspace. In order for an applications window to span
two screen, they must be on the same workspace.

A solution is to get the Ximian gnome packages and overlay those with
the RH8 default. If you upgrade later, RH will gripe, but at least you
have the setup you want.

RH8 took away many of the user controls over the desktop environment
that were in use for 7.x. I'm not particularly happy about them either.

On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 14:20, Pete Hardie wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Recently I installed RH 8.0, and while I'm happy overall, I've run into a
> problem that I haven't found the fix for - how do I allow a window to slide into
> another workspace, so that it straddled 2+ workspaces - Sawfish allowed this,
> and I put it to use with some of the large windows.  I ran across the problem
> last night trying to use the digital camera tool for Gnome - the "Save Images"
> dialog is longer than my window, even at the smallest font Gnome allows for
> window/dialog text, and I cannot see the button row at the bottom.
>
> Any suggestions for where to look or an alternate WM appreciated.  Cries of "Use
> distro X!" ignored.....:->
>
> TIA,
http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part