[ale] Gnome workspace and overlapping windows

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Mon Mar 17 14:22:21 EST 2003

I am currently trying out Gnome 2.2 as well.

Just to be true to the the test I am using metacity as the window manager - I am
not really pleased. One of the problems is what you describe and I don't think
there is anyway around it. My big gripe with metacity is its lack of support for
useful window properties and its bad implementation of others.

For example, the "sticky" functionality is very poor. XMMS just refuses to stay
on all desktops no matter how I try to set the sticky property. There does not
seem to be any support for stacking (read "always on top").

I like the integration of the applications, gnomeicu and gaim being the big
pluses, but if this stuff can not be rectified I may just have to go back to
enlightenment. I have not tried to integrate enlightenment as the window manager
for Gnome but I don't think it works so great any more from what I hear.

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:20:49 -0500
Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at sciatl.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Recently I installed RH 8.0, and while I'm happy overall, I've run into a
> problem that I haven't found the fix for - how do I allow a window to slide
> into another workspace, so that it straddled 2+ workspaces - Sawfish allowed
> this, and I put it to use with some of the large windows.  I ran across the
> problem last night trying to use the digital camera tool for Gnome - the "Save
> Images" dialog is longer than my window, even at the smallest font Gnome
> allows for window/dialog text, and I cannot see the button row at the bottom.
>
> Any suggestions for where to look or an alternate WM appreciated.  Cries of
> "Use distro X!" ignored.....:->
>
> TIA,
>
> --
> Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
>      posting from, but not     |
> 	speaking for:             |
> Scientific Atlanta, Digital Video Services Group
>

>      - - - - - - -  Appended by Scientific-Atlanta, Inc.  - - - - - - -
> This e-mail and any attachments may contain information which is confidential,
> proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected by law. The information is
> solely intended for the named addressee (or a person responsible for
> delivering it to the addressee). If you are not the intended recipient of this
> message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or disseminate
> this message or any part of it. If you have received this e-mail in error,
> please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete it from your
> computer.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted.

Missionara Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
CH:D 59