[ale] RH - disappointing

David Bronson dbron at roman.net
Sun Mar 16 11:26:48 EST 2003

Chuck,

Debian is militantly free. Apt updates are painless (apt-get update,
apt-get upgrade) and your machine is easily kept current. There are many
free mirrors that give you the updates without making you pay anything.
I have felt for some time that Redhat's posture is becoming more M$ish.
You can refer to http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines for a
more complete explanation of Debian's particular philosophy.

I use Redhat for one reason. The Frontpage rpm's are easier (nobody
seems to want to fool with them for Debian). If that need goes away, or
if Redhat makes it even more difficult for me to secure my machine with
current packages, I will re-evaluate that need also.

That being said, I still think Redhat is a good distro for beginners.
Its ease of installation and hardware discovery is put together well.

Good luck with your quest,

--
David Bronson
Network Administrator