[ale] linux boot dependencies

Stephen Turner artic_knight at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 09:43:59 EST 2003

hey im planning on screwing around in gentoo with makeing a stripped down
binary system for my laptop, its a p1 40mb ram 3 gig hd and i think it
would make a decent linux box ;) beats collecting dust, anyways my
question is when i get this system composed and working and i want to
transfer it to the laptop is there any placement dependencies like dos?
does any files other than the boot loader (grub) need to be in a specific
place on the partition or hd? or is linux smart enough to figure it out?
;) im thinking it is but wanted to check before i couldnt figure out why
my system wasnt working.  if stripping and optimizing works out as well as
i hope for my laptop i might redo my desktop :)