[ale] free bsd vs. linux

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 15 22:16:50 EST 2003

Kenneth W Cochran <kwc at world.std.com> writes:

> >Subject: Re: [ale] free bsd vs. linux
> >From: Robert Heaven <robertheaven at earthlink.net>
> >To: ALE <ale at ale.org>
> >Date: 15 Mar 2003 15:08:31 -0500
> >
> >No, I have never dual-booted a BSD box.
>
> I triple-boot BSD, Linux, & MS-DOS; have for years, with LILO.
> BSD's install can be made to not clobber anything.
> Just get Linux booted, configure LILO to "see" BSD and
> all should be fine.  I don't know if BSD's bootmanager
> can do Linux, but as a guess, I "think" it would just
> bring up Linux's bootmanager, i.e. LILO or GRUB.

The problem I have is that when I run the FreeBSD installer, it doesn't
see any of the existing disk partitions. The only choices I have are,
"Use the whole disk for BSD" or "Create a new slice" in the allegedly
unused portion of the disk (which actually has been completely
partitioned already by fdisk under Linux).

I thought maybe setting one of the existing partitions to the "BSD"
type would help, but there are a bunch of BSD-related partition types
in fdisk, and I don't know which one to use.

Thanks,

-- Joe Knapka

> -kc
>
> >On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 23:08, Joe wrote:
> >    Robert Heaven <robertheaven at earthlink.net> writes:
> >
> >    > I work with FreeBSD all day at work and use Linux at home for my
> >    > personal PC...
> >
> >    Have you ever set up a box to dual-boot *BSD and Linux? I'm
> >    having trouble getting that to work. I've got Gentoo and
> >    Slack on the box already, but the BSD installer insists
> >    on sucking up the entire disk for itself.
> >
> >    -- Joe Knapka

  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me