[ale] free bsd vs. linux

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Sat Mar 15 09:31:16 EST 2003

I don't really want to touch this one.  But I will :)

I feel the UNIX vs. Linux debate is there because the BSD, SVR4 junkies
feel that because Linux was not based on their code, it can't be as
good.  Linus wrote the kernel based on documentation not reference code
from those families of UNIX.

I hear it all thi time in #freebsdhelp,  Linux sux.  Linux can't be a
server as well as BSD.  I'm not totally sure that is true anymore. I
installed BSD and I had to spend hours in /usr/ports and in source to
get the programs that come with Linux districutions into BSD.

I spent hours in Solaris 8 x86 doing the same.  Everytime I have to
install Solaris, I end up having to prot programs over.

Every OS has its place.  Some OS's overlap in certain areas. I do not
believe the BSD is suited for an embedded arena,  Apparently the market
agrees with me.  The big players have not been pushing FreeBSD, NetBSD,
OpenBSD, etc..  That could be marketing.  The kernel developers of Linux
are doing a good job in the UNIX area.  GNU can run on almost any
system.  When we talk about Linux Vs. BSD, we are talking about the
kernel.

Personally, I do not put much stock in the debate.  I use Linux mostly
on my servers and it does me well.  I've not had performance issues.