[ale] free bsd vs. linux

Marvin Dickens mpdickens at tlanta.com
Fri Mar 14 16:48:29 EST 2003

On 14 Mar 2003 23:18:03 -0500
Robert Heaven <robertheaven at earthlink.net> wrote the following:

> I work with FreeBSD all day at work and use Linux at home for my
> personal PC... I guess the best analogy I can think of is:
>
> When I see Linux I think of a luxury automobile with all the latest
> bells and whistles and a big powerful engine to drive it.
>
> When I see FreeBSD I think of a John Deer Tractor, not very fancy, not
> very fast. But it can pull one hell of a load and plow the fields all
> day, every day.

I like your analogy. I would also add the following:

When I think of internet protocols I think of BSD. After all, this is where it all started. If you need a super reliable internet file server to handle  rediculously high loads, you can beat BSD: It was specifically designed for networking and handeling insanely high loads.

But, like Robert said, if your looking for chrome, you are not going to find it in BSD. With BSD, what you get is what you see... Nothing more, nothing less.
Further, Linux comes as close as any other *NIX regarding the ability to match the stability of BSD. Yes, BSD is more stable, but at a price. Linux was designed to perform more duties than just serve data on high bandwidth networks. In addition, Linux has more utilities and applications (This includes both userland and system utlities and apps) than BSD and therefore is not as vertically limited as BSD regarding it use.

I suppose another analogy is that BSD is the knife of computer networking, but Linux is the Swiss Army Knife of computing.

Best regards

Marvin Dickens