[ale] SNMP on Linux (Debian)

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Thu Mar 13 15:31:25 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, David Corbin wrote:
> I'm trying to get MRTG (and maybe some other SNMP stuff) set up.  I'm
> having trouble figuring out the MIB for remote interfaces.

You may also wish to look at cricket.sourceforge.net - like mrtg, but I
think its easier to use.

> I can do "snmpwalk host public", and spits out lots of  things that
> start with "system.", but I can't actually get any detailed information
> using snmpget.
> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr has been suggested as the correct
> one, but when I try that I get a failure.

Everything has an index:(non-zero based)
snmpget host public interfaces.ifNumber.0

That will tell how many interfaces are on your box - probably 2, one for
lo and one for eth0.

Then
snmpget abyss shire interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.1
snmpget abyss shire interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr.2
will get the descriptions for each.

> What's the correct way to access information about a Linux system via SNMP?

try snmpwalk host public host
(The second host is literal - ie. snmpwalk myhost.com public host)

This assumes you have the UCD-SNMP installed with all of it's MIBS.
That'll tell you stuff even your mother doesn't know about you :)

Hope this helps.

	-Dan