[ale] SNMP on Linux (Debian)

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Wed Mar 12 14:51:35 EST 2003

On Tuesday 11 March 2003 10:10 pm, David Corbin wrote:
> I'm trying to get MRTG (and maybe some other SNMP stuff) set up.  I'm
> having trouble figuring out the MIB for remote interfaces.
>
> I can do "snmpwalk host public", and spits out lots of  things that
> start with "system.", but I can't actually get any detailed information
> using snmpget.
>
> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr has been suggested as the correct
> one, but when I try that I get a failure.
>
> What's the correct way to access information about a Linux system via
> SNMP?

What is the definition of public in your snmp.conf file?

I use RedHat rather than Debian, so I imagine your situation is slightly
different, but I get you have only exposted your system info.  The RedHat
snmp.conf contains these two lines in it.

#       name           incl/excl     subtree         mask(optional)
view    systemview     included      system

When I tried to snmpwalk localhost I would, like you, only get the system
info.  When I changed that line to

view    systemview     included      .1

suddenly I got a couple thousand lines of data, included all packages
installed, a list of processes, disk usage, etc.

Hope that helps.  I'm no snmp guru, so I can't really explain what was
going on.

Michael