[ale] VNC and remonte control Linux

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 12 08:01:16 EST 2003

David Hamm <dhamm at itserve.com> writes:

> Has anyone used VNC to take control of a remote X desktop session on a Linux
> box?  I'd like to show a remote user how to do something and VNC only seems
> to give me a new desktop I can't take control of the user's desktop.

The user needs to run x0rfbserver, which exports an existing X desktop
via RFB. It's not part of the standard VNC package, and it has some
limitations with respect to display configuration (it can't handle
some bit depths, IIRC). You can get it from

A simpler way to deal with your situation is to start a new VNC server
session, setting it to allow multiple clients, and then both you and
the user open the new server desktop in vncviewer.

Cheers,

-- Joe