[ale] pcmcia to pci - do I need drivers?

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Tue Mar 11 23:20:00 EST 2003

You can get an actual PCMCIA interface for your desktop. It doesn't
require any special drivers other than those required by the chipset it
uses. It's not really an adapter card in the sense that it doesn't make
your PCMCIA device into a PCI device. It actually adds the PCMCIA
interface.

I have one that has a card that plugs into the PCI slot, and a ribbon
cable goes to a drive bay-mountable box with two PCMCIA slots. As far as
the computer is concerned, it sees a PCMCIA interface. Just like a laptop.
They also make PCI cards where the PCMCIA card slides into it on the back
of the computer, but having them on the front is a bit more convenient -
especially for things like flash memory cards.

http://www.azeemacomputer.com/html/pcmcia-pci.htm -- The one on the left
is the toy I have. They typically run about $100 or so. Check here:

http://shopper.cnet.com/shopping/resellers/0-9824682-311-107188.html

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Thus Spake Christopher Bergeron <christopher at bergeron.com>:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:32:47 -0500