[ale] Wow! Check out these load averages!

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Tue Mar 11 12:14:40 EST 2003

"Michael D. Hirsch" wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 March 2003 09:26 am, Jonathan Glass wrote:
> > Turns out someone had shutdown a machine that this box attaches to via
> > NFS, so the box was hanging waiting for the NFS connection.  It wouldn't
> > reboot for the same reason.
>
> A trick I've learned is to either mount the NFS drives with the "soft"
> option, or with "hard,intr".  In either case, this should allows
> operations to fail and exit when the server goes down.
>
> For some reason, the docs say that the latter is recommended.  I had always
> used the former with no bad effects.  Check the docs for the "intr" option
> as I'm not sure I spelled it right.

If you want data integrity, you want to mount "hard". If you use
the "soft" option, you help prevent problems with client instability
during server and network outages, but you also expose your
applications to silent data corruption. So, I always use "hard,intr".
You can also play with the time-out value (timeo) and several
options to improve behavior if the NFS server or network dies.

Jeff

> Michael
>
> > Thanks, man.
> >
> > Jonathan
> >
> > On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 22:50, John Wells wrote:
> > > Exactly.  And once you're attached, "backtrace" will usually provide
> > > some telling info.
> > >
> > > John

Jeff Layton
Senior Engineer
Lockheed-Martin Aeronautical Company - Marietta
Aerodynamics & CFD

"Is it possible to overclock a cattle prod?" - Irv Mullins

This email may contain confidential information. If you have received this
email in error, please delete it immediately, and inform me of the mistake by
return email. Any form of reproduction, or further dissemination of this
email is strictly prohibited. Also, please note that opinions expressed in
this email are those of the author, and are not necessarily those of the
Lockheed-Martin Corporation.