[ale] best terminal-based browsers?

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 10 13:51:11 EST 2003

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 11:06:35AM -0500, John Wells wrote:
> For web pages my company doesn't need to know I surf (computerjobs.com,
> etc.) I typically ssh to my home machine and surf with lynx or mozilla
> over X.  Mozilla is extremely slow on the BS upstream, and lynx is
> sometimes very difficult to use.

For a completely different approach, you could use ssh's dynamic port
forwarding.  I used ssh for years before I realized you could do this.
When you ssh to your box, give ssh the -D option and specify a port,
e.g.:
  ssh -D 1080 my.box.com

This will turn your ssh session into a SOCKS v4 server.  Then, just tell
your web browser to use SOCKS v4 on localhost (and specify the port if
you don't use 1080).  Then you could surf from your work box with
anonymity.

HTH,
Jason

P.S.
This all assumes OpenSSH.  I haven't used commercial ssh in a while, so
I don't know if it has this feature or not.

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9