[ale] mosix clusters

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sat Mar 8 09:36:06 EST 2003

Mosix is hardware independent.

But...

Better performance is obtained by using similar capability machines on
problems that require synchronized step completion.

Example: weather calculations. The problem is split up into "regions" or
"grids". Each node in the cluster works on a grid. The entire process is
slowed by by a single slow node as all nodes must update their adjacent
grid node after each calculation set.

Other problem types to not have this limitation.

Example: Monte Carlo simulations. Each node is "dealt" a scenario with
random input (the monte carlo part). Then it runs through it's entire
process and reports it's outcome back to the mother node.

Mosix clusters are good for speeding up many types of problems that can
be split into parallel components. Good fun and bragging rights, too! I
built a 26-node cluster when I was at Emory. It ran "under" the students
using it in the labs. They had no idea they were working on a
super-computing cluster. Of course, neither did anyone else at Emory so
I can't get a lot of resume-stuffing credit for it :(