[ale] better web browsers?

rhiannen rhiannen at atlantacon.org
Fri Mar 7 13:10:12 EST 2003

> > ive
> > heard of phoenix opera and mozilla being some of the latest preferred
> > ones, what do you guys think? any difference?
>
> Hard to go wrong with Mozilla, provided you have enough memory to run
> it. I'd say 128M real RAM is comfortable; 64M is a little thin.
>
> I've heard Opera is less of a memory hippo than Moz, but I haven't
> tried it.

Opera's not too bad, I tend to use it more often than Mozilla as it "seems"
faster and more stable to me.  No benchmarks handy to back up those statements,
I just don't find myself cussing at Opera as often as Mozilla or other
browsers.  I'm one of those iritating people who keep multiple browsers and
multiple windows for each browser open for days on end as I research and cross
reference all kinds of things all at once. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had
Opera run off with memory or just randomly decide to close all open windows
(cough*Netscape*cough.)  To be fair, I don't cuss at Mozilla as much as Netscape
4.x, either. ;)  Actually, I've rather liked Opera for years, so I may be a bit
biased.

Phoenix is supposedly similar to Galeon (which I just can't quite convince
myself to like) and is a streamlined browser based off Mozilla code, with the
idea of being faster and supposedly even more stable, but I've not tried it.

---
rhia
Excuse me, please.  What universe is this?