[ale] Linux SuSe vs Windows 2000 Server

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Fri Mar 7 01:18:22 EST 2003

Hello,
Laurie;

    <FONT face=Arial
color=#0000ff size=2>I would advise you to ask the question on a Microsoft list
as well to get a balanced view of things.  As a MS developer I have seen
both sides of the equation and as usual the truth is in between.  Here are
some facts, but ultimately I would advise going with what you are comfortable
with and what you can actually use, else a computer is just an expensive
paperweight.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Requirement: a file and print server for a small accounting
office
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Hardware: Linux could run on a 486, though I would suggest a PII-233
MHz.  MS Server requires a bigger and costlier box.  While the docs
state at least (for just a boot - i.e. a *minimum) a P-133MHz I would suggest at
least something in the P-300 - P400 MHz range with at least 256 MB of RAM to
just use.  A file and print server is not needing a processor as much
as a fast hard drive. A MS install will take 671 MB of space.  However
MS Server 2000 seems to run slow on my Compaq P-600MHz Celeron with 256 MB
of RAM - like quite slow.  So I would suggest a more modern processor
(around a 1GHZ)
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Software:  Both are easy to install and work well with printers and
such, but MS is easier and requires less hassle to set up on an average.
However my Suse 8.0 recognized my HP LaserJet 6L with no problems.  The
file and print server in my house is a Samba box acting as a PDC of the
network with 3 MS workstations and many other boxes running Unix on them.
After the initial configuration it "just works" with no
problem.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Cost:  Linux ($40 to $60 or even downloadable for free) vs MS
(whatever it is nowadays)
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Support: Linux (can be purchased or you can just Google and use list
groups & buy some books) vs MS (serious $$$$ and not even a 1-800
#)
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Security:  It depends on the System Administrator.  An improper
Linux install will be worse than a good MS install.  Both need to be behind
a firewall if there is any Internet connection, but you did not mention that
here, so unless you have an internal threat the lesser security of MS is
irrelevant - and besides, Linux is crackable despite what anyone
says, it's just harder than a MS box - else why are there so many
Linux security updates?  However, this shows that Linux is
blindingly quick on fixing updates and MS treats it as a business
decision.  So, ... examine your threats and act
accordingly.  Suse is good since it does not open a lot of stuff on the
initial install.  If you do go with MS I would suggest turning off IIS,
getting a good virus checker (and keeping it updated) and hardening the
box.  MS has put out products/scripts to help you do this.  I have
also the stuff they did for some hackathon where they competed against several
Open Source systems in a no holds barred "come one come all and hack our boxes"
competition.  ANY OS is only as secure as the System Administrator makes
it.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Stability: Linux is not monolithic, so if one thing breaks it doesn't
necessarily mean the whole system will crash - however you can crash Linux, it
just takes more time and effort than Windows 2000 which is easily the hardiest
system I have seen out of the Windows pantheon (out of Windows 95/98,
NT 3.5 and NT 4.0). However if it gets hit hard it can bring everything down
hard - like real hard.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
TCO -
I have MS systems that have run for a long time and did not require anything
other than some electricity. If you are just going to do file & printer
sharing you might want to consider the future costs.  If there is no need
to update, then you could use NT 4.0 or anything else, really.  I mean what
is it about file & printer sharing that will change next year that is
different from this year or even last year ?  And why are you even updating
in the first place ?  The only problems I see is if MS changes your
workstations to require a MS server, or that if there is a possibility that
you are an upgrading type of company.  MS licensing 6 is a heavy price to
pay for a small/medium business whose requirements don't really change from year
to year, and this could force you into paying a lot of money for licenses - and
not have any real and tangible benefits for your money - and that is what MS is
going to in the future.  So, Linux wins in this category unless you decide
not to change.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Ease
of Use:  No pc is worth anything if you cannot use it.  Linux is more
complex to start out with, but then so is/was Windows.  Both have GUI's and
use mice.  In either case, once you have it set up, both will just run,
though you might have to reboot Windows now and then (memory leaks).  Linux
folks like to crow about their uptime's, but if you don't need your box to run
24/7 it is a totally moot and irrelevant point.  A MS file and print server
will run during your business hours (unless you need 24/7 uptime).  Turning
off a pc every now and then never killed anyone and is no harder then turning
off the lights.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Privacy;  MS has a End User's License Agreement which, starting with
Windows 2000 SP3, allows them legal access to your machine.  I find
this disturbing and so have personally stopped with Windows 2000.  Linux
has no equivalent and so far has no prospect of turning into rent or lease
ware.  However, if your requirements aren't going to be changing, you could
stop with Windows 2000 and refuse to upgrade to any type of software that has an
intrusive EULA.  I mean, if your MS network works today, it will work
tomorrow unless you radically change your requirements.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
If you
do install Linux and it makes you unhappy and you are less productive then it
was clearly a mistake - just the same with Windows.  Please don't let any
inexperience with Linux be a deciding factor.  The Linux community is just
that - a community that is more than willing to help. And only setting up mail
servers is rocket science.  However, only you know your requirements and
can make the decision.  I have seen good MS networks and bad ones - just
like I have seen good and bad Unix networks.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Well,
good luck and please know that I have tried to give a balanced and true
accounting of the facts without tingeing them with any type of religious fervor
towards one system or the other.  I have installed them both in small
business and large and believe in facts without fervor (which I am sure you are
sensing from other's postings).
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Greg
Canter
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: ale-admin at ale.org
  [mailto:ale-admin at ale.org]On Behalf Of Laurie AndersonSent:
  Thursday, March 06, 2003 9:00 PMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject:
  [ale] Linux SuSe vs Windows 2000 Server

  I am researching which operating system
  to install for a small network (4-6 workstations, 2 printers).  I am
  deciding between Windows 2000 Server and Linux Suse.  Can anyone give me
  some suggestions and/or somewhere to go to do a comparison between the
  two?  The implementation will be in a small accounting office for file
  and printer serving.

  Thanks,
  Laurie