[ale] Speakeasy DSL (Anyone here have it?)

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Mar 6 21:51:03 EST 2003

Mike, ALErs -

On 6 Mar 2003, Mike Panetta wrote:

> Is anyone on this list using Speakeasy DSL?  I am thinking about getting
> their service, but its a bit more expensive then I was expecting...
> What would I get for the price?  They mention static IPs, do they really
> give out multiple IPs?  (a 6net perhaps?)

I started with them in mid-January when my DirecTV line conked out and
they had quit even answering the phone. (Not quite quit billing yet, but
VISA took care of that!)

I have been quite happy with their support and the service is fine. I got
2 static IPs, several e-mails (only use 2), and their lower-speed
'SysAdmin' account for ~$60/mo. (Cheapest I found for static IP.)

I do find their support exceptional. Usually quick to get to (hold-time
estimate on their web page), 1 shell account, you can run Perl if you want
(but they warn you're unsupported for that), and I had the impression they
run quite a lot of Linux.

Today they told me how to configure Pine for authorization to their news
server - immediate answer to the phone  and about 30 sec. for the service
person to tell me how to include my SE user name in the server definition.

I'm just praying for their commercial success.

--
 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu