[ale] [OT] electronics components parts store

Christopher Ness mness215 at attbi.com
Thu Mar 6 07:34:28 EST 2003

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 05:38 pm, Steve Long wrote:
> My wife used to work at RS they will charge you at least twice as much as
> anybody else will.
>
> Take a look at Audio Clinic at Buford Hwy. and 285.
>
> I think Newark Electronics is Norcross as well.
>
> They treated her like garbage and they charged me too much for everything I
> bought there.
>
> I'll never go there again.

Really? That's not been my experience with them. Denis Oshinshi in particular
has bent over backwards to help me with some really oddball requests. I tell
all counter people "if you see me, expect it to be difficult. If it was easy
our parts department would have handled it." Plus RS is clean and organized -
no small feat in electronics parts. They do need to put up a sign "We are not
Radio Shack". EVERYONE has to ask.

Radio Shack dot com nee Electronics America is gone, deservedly gone,
mercifully gone. Tandy could F*@% up a wet dream. When they first opened, I
thought "This is what Radio Shack used to be before Tandy! It remind me of
Allied on 300 North Western Avenue in Chicago. Then I tried to buy something
and said " Oh,S#!t, this is Tandy". Even their going out-of-business sale at
70% off was overpriced compared to everyone else in Atlanta.

Newark has almost zilch stock. They really are set up for mail/phone order. On
the other hand, I have had them just hand me small items and say "Here, don't
worry about it. We'll make it up next time." And, of course, next time never
comes.

Austin? How do they keep the doors open? Are they really a business? Or a
money laundering front for the Mafia? For that matter, are they still open? I
went by a week ago and there was not even one car around the building. The do
partly fill the niche left when Delta abandoned electronic parts for computer
components - that is, they have all kinds of old attic junk. Need an 8"
floppy? First place I'd look.

That reminds me. Anyone remember Atlanta Computer on Buford Highway in
Doraville? Once priced things kept that price for ever. Had 8" diskettes for
$10/ea from the first day until at least 12 years after everyone went to 5
1/4. Those were $3 each until the store went away, when everywhere else they
were about 50cents. (This was before AOL sent everyone a free diskette every
week - just erase and use)
--
Chris Ness
mailto:cness at earthlink.net               All jobs are equally easy to