[ale] Measuring DSL performance

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Tue Mar 4 20:29:55 EST 2003

Greg,

The one I've used most is bwmon (http://bwmon.sf.net).  Works pretty
well...just parses /proc/net/dev and maintains average over a certain time
period, but it has some glitches.  For instance, it currently is telling
me that I have had a 3554.23 kbps max upstream throughput since I came
online tonight.  Um, yeah, ok.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the other one, although it
was similar to bwmon and produced slightly different results.  Again, same
thing...parsing the /proc/net/dev file.  I downloaded it at around 3am
Sunday morning, gave it a quick couple of test runs, and deleted it before
bed...

Anyway, I guess I'll stick with bwmon and dslreports.  What I'm really
interested in testing is whether throughput is affected at all by using
PPPOE...in other words, whether I'll see an (albeit insignificant)
increase in spead by ridding myself of PPPOE overhead.  Course, I'm really
going with no-PPPOE so my connection will no longer drop every 20 or so
minutes, but I'm still curious as to what effect, if any, there will be.
And, mind you, the test would be inherently flawed (no real control), but
what the hell ;-)

Thanks,

John