[ale] semi OT: ideas about building a PVR/XPC

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Tue Mar 4 18:41:26 EST 2003

I recommend the new VIA EPIA-M board for this.  I have one and aside
from it's "tiny" size, it can play DVD's just fine.  It has an XCard
MPEG2 decoder chip built onto the board, but the linux drivers are still
in development.  It has all the goodies: eth, firewire, 6 channel audio,
4usb ports (but linux sees 6 somehow - maybe the chip supports 6).  I
got mine at casetronic.com for $245 for a sweet little case, dc
powersupply(NO FAN), and the board/cpu.  You can buy the EPIA-M board
for just over $100US at lots of places.  I recommend starting at
http://www.linitx.com

Regards,
CB

Geoffrey wrote:

| lance crocker wrote:
|
|> Hey all,
|>
|> I am planning on building a PVR ( Personal video recorder - like Tivo
), an
|> XPC ( Multimedia entertainment PC that will hockup to my TV and home
|> theater ), or some sort of combination.
|>
|> I have thought of two basic choices for this attempt.
|>
|> 1. Buy an Xbox, hack it and install Xbox linux on it ( roughly around
$300 )

| Do not, under any circumstances, put money in M$'s pocket, even though
they are losing money on the Xbox.