[ale] OT: Windows NIC problem...

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 4 12:08:52 EST 2003

Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

> 2 things come to mind
>
> 1) Bad cable

Bad cable or bad NIC. If you don't get a link light on the hub, it is
almost certain to be a hardware problem. That link light is (as I
understand it) a physical-layer indicator: "I see an Ethernet
interface at the other end of this cable, with the proper electrical
characteristics." No blinky, no talkie.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka

> 2) IRQ conflict or bad driver
>
> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 13:59, David S. Jackson wrote:
> > I haven't done much Windows in several years now, so I'm pretty rusty.
> > But when I try and tell a NIC under WinME its static IP using the TCP/IP
> > properties under Network Managagement, the card appears to be using the
> > right address under Windows (and a reboot), but it still can't seem to
> > talk properly on the hub/switch.  There's no green light on that
> > connection for the hub.  The Windows machine isn't pingable.  But when I
> > do a Windows netstat -r, the routing table looks right (for windows) I
> > think.  But no talkie.  Shouldn't Windows ME just give it the right info
> > when I've set it up on the same private network as the hub?  Is there
> > anything else to do besides change the TCP/IP properties under network
> > management and reboot?  (I've turned off WINS and setup the gateway and
> > dns servers correctly, I think.)
> >
> > Seems like that's all I've ever had to do in the past. (The machine in
> > question is not available to me right now, or I would tell you the exact
> > output from netstat -r under WinME and whatever other helpful info I
> > could think of.
> >
> > I know this is a difficult-to-answer generic question, but aside from me
> > having a bad NIC, I wonder what else I can test?  (The hub works fine;
> > I've moved the connection around to different "good" ports on the hub
> > with the same result.)
> >
> > --
> > David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net

  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me