[ale] the 'ls' command

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Mon Mar 3 16:25:16 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> --[PinePGP]--------------------------------------------------[begin]--
> sometimes the man and info pages leave questions unanswered.
>
> Specifically, in <man ls> I see these lines:
>
> <  -F, --classify
> <            append indicator (one of */=@|) to entries
>

> Now I read somewhere that one of those symbols indicates
> a sym link, which I am trying to check for right now.
> But I can't find out which one.
> And it would be nice to know what all five stand for.
> Any clues on where to look?

If it's GNU software (and ls on Linux usually is), the info pages are
usually much more accurate. info sucks, but pinfo makes it tolerable ;-)

pinfo ls

will tell you

`-F'
`--classify'
`--indicator-style=classify'
     Append a character to each file name indicating the file type.
     Also, for regular files that are executable, append `*'.  The file
     type indicators are `/' for directories, `@' for symbolic links,
     `|' for FIFOs, `=' for sockets, and nothing for regular files.

`-p'
`--file-type'
`--indicator-style=file-type'
     Append a character to each file name indicating the file type.
     This is like `-F', except that executables are not marked.

later,
chris