[ale] CRISIS -> boot/root floppy needed..........

Courtney Thomas ccthomas at flash.net
Mon Mar 3 08:27:14 EST 2003

Good Morning !

I am running RH6.1 because of an Oracle installation and need to leave
it alone for now, however, any guidance regarding SPECIFICS of upgrading
the OS and Oracle would be appreciated.

Setup:
	bootup uses dpt_i2o		<- OS hard drive scsi driver
	oracle uses eata		<- scsi raid driver for oracle
	tape drive uses dc390x_ncr	<- scsi tape driver

Dilemma:
	no boot/root floppy, other than a custom one, is going to have the
dpt_i2o & dc390x_ncr drivers, since they are non-standard scsi drivers.
So, the boot floppy must afford the opportunity to install dpt_i2o at
bootup, which is done by mkbootdisk under RH6.1.

And, once the OS hard drive is up, the eata & dc390x_ncr modules must be
installed before unmounting the OS hard drive, to provide quiescent OS
and raid hard drives for tape backup. This assumes, of course, these
modules would remain available after OS hard drive unmounting.

But, the aforedescribed boot floppy asks for a root floppy, which is not
provided AFAIK by RH6.1. I have more pressing needs than spending
unknown hours whittling away on such a root floppy.

Is there a 'downloadable' root floppy that can meet these requirements ?

If not, please precisely summarize the most efficient way to create said
root floppy.

Else, what do you recommend ?

Appreciatively,
Courtney

dated 12/21/02,

".....we have a president purchased by corporations in a sham election
who has put those corporations in charge of their own regulation. A
string of corporate scandals has exposed the myth of shareholder
control....."

Mark Spohr	Tahoe City, Ca. [1/18/03]