[ale] LVM anyone?

Keith Hopkins hne at hopnet.net
Mon Mar 3 07:46:08 EST 2003

Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Thanks Keith.  Do you know if LVM reqires any RAID components (/dev/md?) or
> other special devices in order to do mirroring.

Hi Jim,

   LVM does not do fault tolerant RAID (mirroring/raid5).  It can do striping across logical volumes, and is more flexible than "md" devices in that respect, but "md" devices are probably better suited in most cases.  Don't know which has better performance for striping.

   I generally build a 1) partition tables on physical disks, 2) md devices on partitions, 3) vg on md dev, 4) lv on vg and finally 5) fs on lv.

--
Lost in Tokyo,
   Keith