[ale] Debian Sound issue - Cannot load libvorbisfile file

James Sumners james at sumners.ath.cx
Sat Mar 1 08:40:46 EST 2003

apt-get install libvorbis0

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 07:52:33 -0500
Subba Rao <subba9 at cablespeed.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am experiencing some problem with the sound system.  My system is running
> Debian 3.0 (Woody).  Initially the sound system worked fine.  Few weeks ago I
> upgraded to GNOME 2.2 and then I lost sound.  When I try to play some WAV
> files I keep getting the following error message:
>
> -----------------------------
> subba9 at myhost:/usr/share/sounds$ play phone.wav
> playing phone.wav
> sox: error while loading shared libraries: libvorbisfile.so.0: cannot open
> shared object file: No such file or directory-----------------------------
>
> The sound driver that I am using is from OSS. The tests from the OSS install
> programs are working fine.
>
> How do you get sound working back again in Debian 3.0 + GNOME 2.2?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help.
>
> --
> Subba Rao
> subba9 at cablespeed.com

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological
personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the
corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a
condition to which they are quickly addicted. Missionara Protectiva, Text QIV
(decto) CH:D 59