[ale] easy first distro for a non-linux person?

ChangingLINKS.com x3 at ChangingLINKS.com
Fri Jun 27 12:18:17 EDT 2003

On Friday 27 June 2003 07:05, Geoffrey wrote:
> ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> > I disagree Geoffrey.
>
> You disagree that the ave. person is going to be more comfortable with a
> gui?
No. Sorry for the confusion.

> We're not talking the ave. Linux user, we're talking the ave.
> computer user, who, in most cases have never used a command line.
>
> > Jason believes that it is easier to (get root) then type apt-get update?
>
> Yast2 or apt-get, you need to be root.

Correct. Yast2 is so easy to use, I had forgotten that I type the password.

> > Try this: Most things in Suse can be configured using only the mouse.
>
> With the glaring exception of Samba, as we've noted.  Looks like there's
> a need for YAST2 and webadmin.  But then again, why use both?

Yast2 does things that Webmin does not (like install programs). Webmin does
things that Yast2 does not (like configure Samba).

> Unfortunately, it appears that webadmin does not come with SuSE, at
> least 8.1.  I've not checked my 8.2 box.

WEBMIN does come with 8.2. I am installing it right now. Guess how?
Yast2. Unfortunately, now that I have installed it, I don't know where it is.
I was not successful in typing "webmin" on the command line, and I don't know
where it is in the GUI.

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com