[ale] weird problem with Suse 8.2 and Samba

Van L. Loggins vloggins at turbocorp.com
Thu Jun 26 10:30:59 EDT 2003

Message: 5 Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 07:14:53 -0400 From: Geoffrey
<esoteric at 3times25.net> To: ale at ale.org Subject: Re: [ale] weird problem
with Suse 8.2 and Samba Reply-To: ale at ale.org Van L. Loggins wrote:

>> thanks for the input guys. I got it working last night. I wound up
>> having to go back in to Yast2 and installing all of the networking
>> packages. While I was at it I also installed all of the KDE packages and
>> all of the Gnome packages. after I did this and I went into the
>> networking services and turned on NMB as suggested in a previous message
>> (wasn't installed in default recommended installation).
>

>Okay, so now I'm confused.  I do not have a samba entry in 'networking
>services.'  I'm wondering how you got it there?  I'm going to check out
>my installed services to see what I can find.  Samba's working on this
>box, but I'd like to see the ability to configure from the gui.

There isn't a entry for samba in networking services. I installed webmin
and
used it to create the initial samba.conf file. I then edited the file by
hand using VI
and made the desired changes to it. I then used the services module in
Yast2 to toggle on the nmb service so it starts on start up.
I already had the SMB, Winbind, and SMBFS (think this is it's name)
services loading on start up.

I probably should have did each change one at a time and documented if
it fixed the problem or not. as it stands I don't know which one fixed
the problem, all I know is that now it is working beautifully.