[ale] 2wire Home Portal DSL for Earthlink

Dow Hurst dhurst at kennesaw.edu
Mon Jul 14 12:44:09 EDT 2003

I have a user that has a 2wire Home Portal 1000S.  I can't even ping the dang thing from her Linux box.  She is getting frustrated at the delay in being connected to the Internet.  I have worked quite a bit to setup her up the way I am used to with a Linux firewall and Roaring Penguin.  That isn't working so after some research at 2wire and Earthlink, I am asking here on ale.  Is there a trick to getting the Portal to work with Linux that I am missing?  The XP machine that she has on a HomePortal USB2Ethernet hub (connects up the house phone wiring as a local LAN) registers a local ethernet interface at 172.16.1.35 and a Broadband interface as 66.245.x.x (which is a changing dynamic IP).  The Linux box is hooked to the ethernet interface on the 2wire Homeportal router/modem/thingy while the XP machine is hooked up thru the home phone wiring.  The HomePortal is supposed to have 255.255.0.0 subnetmask and an internal network of 172.16.0-1.255 available for services, static IPs, and dynamic IPs, all served up by the Home Portal.  I can't tell if Earthlink has tweaked it or not.  Can't arp anything either, yet I do have link lights.  What am I doing wrong?  I was tired on a Friday night and did not get to the troubleshooting until I was too tired.  So I haven't done a thorough job.  I can go work on it later today if I can get some hints.  Earthlink states that up to four dynamic IPs can be assigned.  They also say that PPPoE is used.  Do I need to fiddle with roaring penguin somehow?  TIA,
Dow