[ale] waaay OT: a legale question

Transam transam at verysecurelinux.com
Fri Jan 10 23:24:32 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:32:46PM -0500, John Wells wrote:
> In my continued effort to clog your inboxes... ;-)

> Contract I'm considering has the wording "This agreement may only be
> assigned upon written consent of the Client".

> Anyone have any idea what this means?  IANAL and have no idea...

As someone else suggested, it means that you cannot sell the contract
to someone else.  Technically, it probably does NOT PREVENT you from
hiring someone else to do the work, though.  (They shouldn't use
"cut rate" mouthpieces.)

These types of limitations are common in contracting since they decided
that *you* seem capable to do the work and don't want you to hire someone
less capable and pocket the difference.

It's less nasty than a lot of clauses, some of which I refuse to accept
in contracts.

Bob Toxen
bob at verysecurelinux.com                [Please use for email to me]
http://www.verysecurelinux.com         [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]