[ale] project help - postgres or mysql?

attriel attriel at d20boards.net
Thu Jan 2 15:09:32 EST 2003

>> Project I'm ramping up on will involve porting a microcrap sql
>> server db to either postgres or mysql.  No stored procedures
>> on the sql server side, thankfully.  Just tables and indexes.
>> Would postgres be a better choice?
>
> Yes. Although this is a very small database, Postgres is much closer  to
> SQL Server, and should be easier to port to than MySQL. Even
> though you don't use stored procedures (yet), your application may  need
> features such as subselects and views.

Unless I missed it in the 4.0 info (finally, I can use 4.0 in deploy,
eeesh!) I think My is still missing foreign keys & transactions, which you
might actually be using, too.

I handle foreign keys in the code-side, but it eats more cycles than the
SQL would if it handled it directly (optimizations and internal lookups,
don'chya know, instead of DBD::MySQL :o)

Just another couple things to look out for in the "currently used
features" list

--attriel