[ale] Xircom RBE-109 RH8 -- Attempt 2

Zyman, Andy zymana at hra.nyc.gov
Fri Feb 28 16:49:21 EST 2003

// My spelling is just horrible. Sorry. Let me try again.

 Gentleman,
 Could you guys, please, explain me where the information is
 coming for PMCIA  card?
Here is the situation I'm facing :
 1. RH8
 2. Xircom RBE-100 ( RBE-100 is written on the card ) card (
 cardctl ident returns :
 Xircom , CardBus Ethernet II 10/100, CBEII-10/100
 manfid :0x0105,0x0103
 function : 6 ( network )

 3. in /etc/pcmcia/config in the description on this card there is a binding
to xircom_cd : bind "xircom_cd" to 0

 3a.  Another question: how to find out the version of pcmcia  currently
installed on machine?

 4. Now, this is that i think about process :
     if i remove the description of this card from config file
(/etc/pcmcia/config ) - and start pcmcia ( /etc/init.d/pcmcia start ) it
should not recognize the card; and the start of network will fail too ...
 5. Apparently it is not true, because I constantly can see the _same_ msgs
in
    /var/log/messages :

 Xircom carbus revision 3 at irq 11
 starting version 3.1.131
 config error. file "config" line XXX
 // there is a completely diff. card at this location smth from IBM.
 // there are 2 probs. And last line of log:

 /etc/hotplug /pci.agent : Setup xircom_cb for PCI slot 0:2:00:0

 Does it mean that it still is able to find the correct card ? If yes  than
how?
 In KDE i can see the driver is empty ( click on the battery icon ( right
click ) and just follow popups )

 so I'm lost in the deep jungles of short bushes. any explanation please ?
 Thank you.

 P.S. the weirdest part  - if i plug it into network - it will work... Yes,
in Windows it was working fine.

 Thank You
  Andy
 office: 212 849 3543