[ale] cd drives, or going nutz the Linux way!

Joe jknapka at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 27 09:23:52 EST 2003

Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at mindspring.com> writes:

> On Thursday 27 February 2003 05:57 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> > mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd${i} /tmpmnt
>
> bingo, well at least we are moving forward!
>
> < [root at localhost log]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom1
> < mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
>
> I tried to mount scd1 (which ought to be the correct designation)
> and got the response "unknown device," so I backed up and tried
> scd0 and the drive mounted and I can read the CD I stuffed inside!
>
> So do I need to add a line to fstab for /dev/scd0 that looks like
> this?:
>
> /dev/scd0     /mnt/cdrom1       iso9660   noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
>

> And if I do, will I be able to mount the drive (and read its contents
> and hopefully WRITE as well) without becoming root? I have already
> changed the permissions on /dev/scd0 just in case this works.

I don't know about USB burners, but with IDE and SCSI ones there
are two distinct operating modes:

(1) You can mmount the drive as a filesystem and read (only) its
contents;

(2) You can write a pre-built filesystem to the *unmounted* drive.

There's no way (that I'm aware of) to mount a CD-R[W] and then
write to the filesystem. The problem is that you *can't* just
write a small bit of data to a CD-R; you have to write the
entire disk at once.

It sounds like (from other posts to this thread) your USB burner
is going to look like a SCSI device for recording purposes, so
"man cdrecord" and "cdrecord -scanbus" are probably your friends.

Cheers,

-- Joe Knapka