[ale] What are the major/minor #s for sr0 ?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Feb 27 10:23:47 EST 2003

So all scsi devices are labeled /dev/ronjeremya, /dev/ronjeremyb, ...

/dev/clinton would be a parallel port device :) (Hillary AND Monica)
/dev/reagan would be /dev/null (Alzheimer's)
/dev/bush is a serial port (first daddy, then "W")
/dev/GaGov is /dev/zero (it doesn't matter who we get, we're still #49)

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 10:24, Dow Hurst wrote:
> The BillyBob distro with all devices named after the famous people you
> pick!  My /dev/null could /dev/Clinton or some such nonsense!  What a
> fun idea!
> Dow
>

> Danny Cox wrote:
>
> >Courtney,
> >
> >On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 08:19, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> >

> >>Also, it does work as scd0, but how is that.... if it is identified as
> >>sr0 by it's driver, [may be unanswerable due to lack of detail about
> >>driver function] ?
> >>

> >	Because it's a "special file" ;-).  The name means nothing, except that
> >some programs expect certain names (e.g. hdparm expects /dev/hdM).
> >Other than that you *could* rename "scd0" to "BillyBob", though I don't
> >recommend it ;-).  The major and minor device numbers are what the
> >kernel uses to determine which driver handles the requests.
> >
> >	When the drivers init routines are called, they register for the major
> >devices they "own".  In this case, the scsi subsystem tells the kernel
> >that it wants the major 11s, and internally to the scsi driver, directs
> >major 11 requests to its cdrom subsystem.
> >
> >	Clear as mud?

http://www.localnetsolutions.com

 This is a digitally signed message part