[ale] cd drives, or going nutz the Linux way!

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Wed Feb 26 16:36:30 EST 2003

> Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

>>Apparently I need the services of someone who speaks fluent Linux.
>>
>>It turns out I also can not reach my usb cd burner, but a hint
>>appears in /var/log/messages <grin>:
>>
>>This being a different problem than not being able to set dma=1
>>for /dev/hdc (the cd/dvd reader), which I still have not solved.
>>

>>>usb.c: USB device 3 (vend/prod 0x3f0/0x207) is not claimed by
>>>any active driver.

This is the fact that it at least sees the hardware.

>>That line is generated during the boot sequence, and directly refers
>>to the usb cd burner -- the vender/product ids match.
>>
>>Now all I have to do is find a driver -- hp doesn't offer one.
>>
>>Then again, maybe there is another problem as these lines also appear
>>during the boot sequence <grin>:
>>

>>>scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>>>  Vendor: HP        Model: CD-Writer+ 8200a  Rev: 1.0g
>>>  Type:   CD-ROM    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

This looks to me like it's identified a driver for the aforementioned
usb drive.  You should be able to mount it as a scsi device (/dev/sda1).

>>Also, at boot and (apparently) when trying to access /hdc
>>as a dvd reader, the log records a string
>>of error messges. The dominant theme seems to be:
>>

>>>Media region code is mismatched to logical unit -- (asc=0x6f, ascq=0x04)
>>>hdc: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
>>>hdc: packet command error: error=0x54
>>> ATAPI device hdc:
>>>  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
>>>  Command sequence error -- (asc=0x2c, ascq=0x00)"
>>
>>Can anyone offer a translation into basic English?

this is your first drive on your second ide.  Didn't you say you had a
zip drive there?  You could be getting the above errors if you
unsuccessfully attempted to format that drive.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net

Think about it...