[ale] Cygwin Or...?Re: [ale] Cygwin Or...?

cfowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Feb 25 17:28:54 EST 2003

I use Cygwin a lot.  but it does not provide a truly 100% posix interface to
windows.  I believe with GTK or QT you can actually compile for Win32 and
Linux.  But in Win32 you may not have that posix layer you may need.  so
you'll have to intermix win32 code with your unix code and just create a very
portable src tree.

There are some products out there that you can buy that will help bridge the
windows -> unix gap.  I've not tested any of them.

We looked at this same problem and chose a different route.  We decided to use
Swing in Java and keep a design model that focuses on performance.  So far
this had done use well.  We have a Swing app that is not too bulky.  Many
Swing apps have too much bulk and they seem slugish.  The key is in correct
program design and writing to get java+swing to be usable and not so
slugish.

Cygwin is a good environment to write posix apps for win32 but you have to run
X windows + the application.  With come creative scripting, you may can make
this seemless to the user.  If you run the app centrally and use ssh with X
forwarding, this may be a useable option.

Chris